Curriculum Rationale in: Business
In today’s interconnected society, it’s important to have a good understanding of business and why it matters. Without business activities, there wouldn’t be jobs that allow people to earn a living, advance their careers and grow as individuals. Therefore, studying Business is vital as you’re learning life skills to not only take forward professionally but personally too. Through studying Business you’ll develop many transferable and work-related skills that are highly valued by employers and which will increase your employability.
For students studying Business, the skills you will develop include the ability to:
- Understand key business functions such as marketing, human resources, information management, accounting and finance and operations in their wider organisational and social context
- Manage own financial budgets
- Use ICT to research, identify and present information
- Communicate effectively, clearly and accurately with others
- Draw together, analyse and critically evaluate information
- Understand the nature of leadership skills and behaviours within organisations
- Manage time and take on responsibility for your own development.
KS4 Curriculum overview
At Aston Manor Academy, we offer two pathways for our students:
Edexcel GCSE Business 9-1
Students study this course based on their assessment results from Year 9. Students who performed well in exams are categorised to study GCSE Business as the assessment is 100% examination. There are 2 units and both exams make up 50% of the qualification. Students can progress onto studying A-Level or BTEC at Level 3.
BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise.
Students study this course based on their assessment results from year 9. Students who performed well in the written assessment and not so much in exam are categorised to study Tech Award. The course is made up of 3 components. Components 1 and 2 are written coursework, 60% of the qualification and component 3 is an exam and comprises of 40% of the whole qualification. Students can progress onto studying A-Level or BTEC at Level 3.
KS5 Curriculum overview
As one of the most popular departments in the Sixth Form, we offer a range of courses to meet the needs of our learners. All courses offer strong opportunities for progression to either university or apprenticeships. Below are the courses offered at Level 3:
- NQF BTEC L3 National Diploma in Business
- NQF BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Business
- NQF BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Applied Law
- QCF BTEC L3 Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Law
- QCF BTEC L3 Subsidiary Diploma in Business
- Level 3 3 Diploma in Financial studies
- Variations of units enables students to decide on their career pathway/ university- apprenticeships / establishing networking. (International Business is a unit for Level 3 and can be studied as a full-time course at university)
- QCF Accessibility- all students can progress to a course at university- a good pathway for students who were not successful on A-level courses
- LIBF- sets up for the demands of financial work and teaches students personal life skills that are useful for life after 6th Form
Click the below links to download our content delivery overview for Business: